This page is under construction, and presumably always will
be. Eventually I'd like to link dissertations and code here
too, at least for projects that get either first class honours
(undergrads) or distinctions (MScs). If you are a former
student & I am missing any info or a link for you, please email
me & I will edit it in.
If you are a current student (esp. a PhD student), you should start
gently by reading wise
advice to new grad students, then you probably ought to read
Bible. You might also want to read about doing
lab, although of course I don't expect my students' lives to
be like that (honest). In contrast, this is exactly
PhD is about. Here is excellent advice
to read before writing your dissertation, on the difference
between a thesis and a dissertation. Here is some very wise words about
doing graduate research. I particularly like the "How to
keep/create a good relationship?" Here's some
British advice that particularly address personal time and again
your relationship with your supervisor.
When you are nearly done with your PhD (or postdoc) you should
probably read this advice
on writing your first grants.
If you are a final-year undergraduate or masters student, you
should probably read my own advice about writing essays and
Further details of current student research (especially where it's
relevant to my own) can sometimes be found on the AmonI Research
I'm also on the committees of:
Some of the other PhD students I've examined or co supervised:
I've had a couple people start PhDs and not complete, but we
still learned from each other.
- Marios Richards, 3.5 years part time.
- Gideon Gluckman, 1 year part time.
- Dominic Mitchell, 5.5 years part time.
All students MSc unless otherwise indicated
- Laura Deeley (MComp, started 2014), Hongwei Tong, Yang Hong.
- John Grey, "Achieving
Procedural Side Quests through Behaviour Oriented Design", distinction.
- Jason Leake, "An
Evaluation of Behaviour Oriented Design for Robotic
- Daniel Taylor, "Why
is Culture Adaptive?"
- Marios Richards, "The
Limitations of the Baldwin Effect".
- Jonathon Ballie Strong,
"Applying and improving a dynamic project planner".
- Alastair Fletcher,
"Evolution of Robustness and Episatasis in Artificial Gene
Networks through Asexual and Sexual Reproduction," distinction.
- Jiang Yifan, "Improving Speech
Production for an Emotionally Expressive Facial Animation
- Ando Yasushi, "The Effect of Predation on the Evolution of
Dominance Hierarchy in Primate Society," distinction.
- Andrew Beggs "Aide
Memoir Bot with Emotional Response (AMBER): A Desktop Prototype
of a Behaviour-Based, Artificially Intelligent Care Device with
a Virtual Reality Face," distinction.
- Stephen Couzens
"Implementation and Testing of Teamwork Theories Using Behaviour
- Matthew Thomas
"Cultural Evolution and Prestige," distinction.
- Zhang Borui, "The
Integration of EEFAS and Chatbots System."
- Wang Jinxu,
"Aggressive Interaction in Social Dominance: An Agent-Based
- Liu Wenxin, "Monkey in
- Chia-Hua (Annette) Tsou,
"Monkeys in a Simulation Tool - SeSAm."
- Paula Ellis,
"Psychology on the Internet: Emotional Facial Expressions
in Virtual Agents," distinction.
- Wang Jing Jing
(Andrea), "Sexual Attraction and Inter-Sexual Dominance Among
Virtual Agents --- Replication of Hemelrijk's DomWorld Model
with NetLogo," distinction.
- Andy Kwong "A Framework for Reactive
Intelligence through Agile Component-Based Behaviors," distinction.
- Nur Haifa Muhd Fathil,
"The Study of the Evolution of Macaque Complex Despotic
- Peter Duncan Wright,
"A Graphical User Interface for Creating and Editing Plans."T
- Kyle Bignell
- Wil Eager
- Alex Kershaw
- Tom Murray
- Aaron Rickard
- Alex Aiton, "Extending a StarCraft AI Behaviour Library"
- Michael Brooks, "Facilitating the Creation of Advanced Agents
within NetLogo by Allowing Specification and Control Using the
Behaviour Oriented Design Methodology", distinction.
- Alex Fedorec,"Information acquisition and communication and
its impact on social structure" distinction.
- Thom Highman, "Clever Cogs --- Making Procedurally Generated
Quests more Interesting"
- George Lungley, "Comparison of Behaviour Tree
- Tim MacFarlane, "Extracting Semantics from the Enron Corpus",
- Alice Stuart-Lee, "Modelling Matriarchal Social Structures in
Non-Human Contexts" distinction.
- Eugene Bann, "Discovering
Basic Emotion Sets via Semantic Clustering on a Twitter Corpus",
- Simon Davies, "Development of an AI for the Real-Time-Strategy
Game Star Craft Using Behaviour Oriented Design", distinction.
- Tom Hyde, "The Behaviour-Oriented Design of an Artificial
Football Team", distinction.
- Zack Lyons, suspended.
- Richard Scott-Holt, "Convolutional Neural Networks", distinction.
- David Greenhill, "Using Agent Based Modelling to aid
explanation of female dominance in mammalian species".
- Chris Harrison, suspended.
- Jack Kenyon, "Adapting a Video Game to do Psychological
- Matthew Robinson, "Behaviour Oriented Design of Online World
- Michael Tremante, "Behavioural Economics in On-line
- James Bickerton, "The Creation of an Intelligent Agent
for Social Interaction on the iPhone", distinction.
- Tom Fletcher, "Machine Learning of Player Strategy in
Games", distinction, prize.
- Paul Roche, suspended
- Ayesha Begum,
"Developent of a Dynamic Project Planner".
- Mary Estall,
"Creating an Assistive Intelligenc Environment using Behaviour
Oriented Design (BOD)", distinction.
- Tom Peach, "An
Investigation into High-level Behaviour Specification for
- Bowen Sun, "Dynamic
Collaborative Project Planner".
- Abeer Almoawdah,
"Arabic Language Tutoring System."
- Chris Knight, "A Web
Situated, Rule-Based Fitness Plan Generator and Monitoring
- Sam Partington, "A critical analysis of
Behaviour-Oriented Design (BOD), based on experiences in using
it to create an Unreal Tournament Capture-the-Flag (CTF) team",
- Meri Williams, "Dynamic Planning: The
Application of AI Planning Advances to Project Management,"
- Tristan Caulfield, "Acquiring and Using
Knowledge in Computer Chess," distinction.
- Joanna Julie Church,
"Development of a web site for cataloguing student accommodation
in Bath to be used by both students and landlords, using XHTML,
XML and ancillary technologies, MySQL and PHP."
- Phillip J. Richards,
"An Integrated Development Enviroment for Behaviour Oriented
- Emily K. F. Korvin,
- Stephen M. Richards,
"A Reactive Project Planner."
- Robert W. Holbrook,
"The Development of a NetLogo Behaviour Library for the
Simulation of Social Animal Interactions."
- Natalia Boutureira,
"Development of an XML IDE using Java," distinction.
- John Edward Mann, "Comparison
between using ACT-R and Behaviour Oriented Design Methodology to
Model the Learning of Transitive Inference," distinction.
- Wong Ping (Jennifer),
"Building a Tool for Building Personality-Based Commerce Web
- David Robert Pratt,
"Expense Claims via the Web."
- Lin Jia
- Ivana Cace, diploma
project student from University of Utrecht, 2004, distinction.
- Jonathon Leong,
volunteer UROP at Harvard, 2002.
Last updated February 2016