CM10135 / Programming II: Tutorial 4
This is an apparently optional but actually quite important because
it's so useful tutorial. You may want to work on this even (or
especially!) if you are stuck on CW2.
There are two objects of this tutorial:
- To help you get a better understanding of how your code works and
how to debug it.
- To teach you the eclipse Java debugger in particular. Many
of the features of this debugger you will find in other good debugging
platforms or interactive development environments (IDEs) as well.
What to do:
- Dig out your code from coursework 1.
- You can use your CW2 code if you like, if enough of it is
written, but it's easier to get a real feel for debugging on a program
that's mostly complete.
- You may just want to go through your coursework as it stands, or
you may want to ask someone else in the lab to introduce a bug, into
it, & then see how fast you can find it. (not just a sytnax
bug! change a parameter value on a loop or something.)
- OK, I admit this is really lame, but I haven't got time to write
a full debugger tutorial for you, especially given that other people
have done so already.
- So have a look at Debugging
a Java Program with Eclipse from developer.com,
- or Debugging
with the Eclipse Platform from IBM.
- Probably the IBM one is better!
page author: Joanna Bryson
14 March 2005