Spring workshop 1997
COLLABORATION BETWEEN HUMAN AND ARTIFICIAL SOCIETIES
- where: Lanjarón - a spa in the
Sierra Nevada south of Granada (warning: slow-ish http server).
Weather is currently reported as warm at circa 29C. There is also
general information about Andalucía, about spas in Andalucía, fiestas in
Granada and an itinerary
including Lanjarón in German.
- when: May 1-3, 1997.
- Perspectives on negotiation: game theory, economics,
computational dialectics. Topics: negotiation (mediation,
protocols, planning), cooperative computing, computational
- Relevance of information: linguistics, AI, information
retrieval. Topics: negotiation (synthesis of information),
reflection, categorization of documents, fuzzy inference.
- Engineering the artificial: networks, cooperative systems.
Topics: correctness (protocols, compilers, execution environments),
distributed systems and applications, tools and methods for
distributed systems, architectures and languages.
- format: the meeting will last three days with
ample time for discussion between the participants. Each day will be
organized around one of the above themes and motivated by an invited
speaker, followed by group working on issues identified (in advance)
by the speaker. Lunch will be followed by a panel report on the
morning's discussions and presentations from members of the
- March 27, 1997
- Notification of titles of talks. Please e-mail titles to Julian
- April 18, 1997
- Send draft abstract or draft full papers to be included in
interim proceedings for distribution at the meeting.
- May 1-3, 1997
- Meeting in Lanjarón (Las Alpujarras mountains), near Granada
- invited speakers:
- proceedings: the offical proceedings will be
published after the meeting. One contender is the Springer Electronic Workshops in
The meeting will take place from May 1 to May 3 inclusive.
The workshop programme is nearly complete, although the schedule is
currently subject to experimentation (note: timings are tentative and
may be perturbed by local arrangements):
- May 1: Thursday
- 09:30-10:30 invited talk: Nick
Negotiation and Argumentation in Practical
- 10:30-11:00 coffee break
- 11:00-13:15 partner presentations
- 13:30-15:00 lunch
- 15:00-16:30 partner presentations
- 16:30-17:00 coffee break
- 17:00-18:30 partner presentations
- 21:00 dinner
- May 2: Friday
- May 3: Saturday
There are two airports within easy reach of Lanjarón: Granada
and Malaga. We are investigating the organization of transportation
between these airports and Lanjarón on April 30th (Wednesday)
and May 4th (Sunday)
Only Iberia/Aviaco offer services to
Granada itself, from Barcelona and Madrid, 3 times daily in the week
and once on Sundays.
Several airlines fly to Malaga. In addition to Iberia (obviously),
there appear to be daily services to Malaga on:
You may like to investigate the possibility of flying into Granada and
out of Malaga. If you have web-sites for other relevant airlines,
please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. A more general service is
offered by Flifo, an Internet-based
- Lufthansa (one direct and
two with changes to another airline)
- British Airways (from
- Alitalia (from Rome via
- Sabena (Twice daily! Also gets
the prize for using the most Netscape features)
- Air France - Web site exists,
but is "temporarily unavailable as we are improving the service"
- KLM (nothing direct, but shows more
information about other airlines)
On the other hand, if you like trains, you can consult RENFE, the Spanish rail service.