- Douglas Stinson. Cryptography theory and practice (Discrete
mathematics and its applications), Chapman & Hall/CRC, 3rd edition, 2005
Further Reading (available online or in library):
- Alfred J. Menezes, Paul C. van Oorschot, and Scott
A. Vanstone. Handbook of applied cryptography, CRC Press. Available
online at Handbook of
- H. Davenport. The higher arithmetic, Cambridge University Press,
7th edition, 1999
- Nigel Smart. Cryptography: an introduction, 2nd
edition. Available online from
Cryptography: an introduction
- Joan Daemen. The design of Rijndael: AES - the advanced encryption
standard, Springer, 2002
- Neal Koblitz. Algebraic aspects of cryptography, Springer, 1998
This is not an exhaustive list; there are other books in the library that you
might find useful.
Papers (available online or in library):
- E. Biham and A. Shamir. Differential cryptanalysis of DES-like
cryptosystems (extended abstract) in Proc. CRYPTO '90 (ed. A. J. Menezes &
S. A. Vanstone), volume 537 of Springer Lecture Notes in Computer
Science, pages 2-21. Springer-Verlag, 1991.
- D. Boneh. Twenty years of attacks on the RSA cryptosystem, Notices of
the AMS, 46:203-231, 1999. Available online:
Twenty years of attacks...
- D. Coppersmith. The Data Encryption Standard (DES) and its strength
against attacks, IBM J. R & D, 38:243-250, 1994. Available online:
- W. Diffie and M. E. Hellman. New directions in cryptography, IEEE
Transactions on Information Theory, IT-22(6):644-654, 1976. Available
online from: Diffie Hellman
- W. Diffie. The first ten years of public key cryptography, Proc. IEEE,
76:560-577. Available online:
The first ten years...
- C. Pomerance. A tale of two sieves, Notices of the AMS,
43:1473-1485, 1996. Available online:
A tale of two sieves
- R. L. Rivest, A. Shamir and L. M. Adleman. A method for obtaining
signatures and public-key cryptosystems, Communications of the ACM,
21:120-126, 1978. Available online:
Some of these may only be available to download on campus or through the
library E-journals page. This is not an exhaustive list of papers.
Light reading (available in library):
- Simon Singh. The code book, Fourth Estate, 2000
- Fred Piper and Sean Murphy. Cryptography: a very short introduction,
Oxford University Press, 2002. Available through the library: Cryptography: a short introduction.