We try to put all code online, particularly for papers that
are already published. Please feel free to contact individual
researchers if you can't find enough information below. Unless
stated otherwise, all code below is open
source under the terms of the MIT
License. The copyright is held by the code's author(s).
For more information, see Joanna
publications pages, and the AmonI Research page
Behavior Oriented Design (BOD) and POSH Action Selection
Behaviour oriented design is a methodology for developing
intelligent systems. It extends object oriented design
to the special problems of proactive systems, including
real-time systems for dynamic enviornments. To the
extent that these systems are agents, they need goals and
priorities; in BOD these are specified using POSH action
- Behavior Oriented Design home page. (No code, just explanations.)
dynamic planning home page (explanations &
- There is an IDE for BOD, A BOD Environment (ABODE)
- The present version is ABOD3 provides real-time debugging as well as editing. It works across many different representations of POSH, including Instinct (see below.) by Andreas Theodorou
- ABOD3-AR is an extension of ABOD3's real-time debugging mode that works as augmented reality on your smartphone for debugging mobile robots on the run. code by Alexandros Rotsidis
- Older versions are just editors:
- ABODE-STAR code by Swen Gaudl.
- The original ABODE code by Steve Gray and Simon Jones.
- Downloadable engines for running POSH:
- A game-centric version of POSH has been used in the development of BUNG (BOD UNity Game); we have been using BUNG in our final-year and MSc-level course, Intelligent Control and Cognitive Systems.
is a reactive planner based on POSH. It includes a
visual design language for plan design, and
enhancements to support transparency.
for building cognitive agents for Agent Based Modelling
- Author Michael Brook's BODNetLogo Web Page.
- The BODNetLogo sourcecode on github.
- Michael's dissertation.
- Coming soon – BOD Pepper!
- Please feel free to become a BOD
- Older projects that are no longer maintained but may still be useful:
- POSH-sharp C# code (3 August 2013).
- jyPOSH python / jython code, including:
- the MASON Behavior Library for agent-based modelling, and
- the Unreal Tournament Behavior Library.
- pyPOSH pages updated 23 March 2008. Code updated 14 February 2011.
- POSH Stealth. This is a mod of the Unity game Stealth, but comes with POSH-sharp and some more intelligent robots. Download it from Swen Gaudl's ERGo Page.
- Cyril Brom's group at Charles University reimpelemented SPOSH in Java for their Game AI tool, Pogamut. This includes a very nice POSH plan editor based on NetBeans.
- We also have some new libraries not included in the standard python POSH but which work with it:
- Simon Davies' StarCraft:
Brood War AI. 10
- Tom Hyde's RoboCup
Simulation League team AI. May 2012
- YARP POSH (for robots running YARP). In the works, November 2012
- POSH Lisp code (and links to other old versions).
Models of Social Learning and Cultural Evolution
- The models of religious evolution from Whitehouse, Kahn, Hochberg & Bryson (2012, also available from the journal).
- Joanna Bryson has written a quick model of the relationships between modularity, innovation and cultural stability, which also runs in NetLogo.
- Avri Bilovich wrote software for statistical semantic analysis. This runs in LispWorks.
- Ivana Cace's code will be here eventually (we're working on a major publication). Please email Ivana or Joanna if you want a sneak peek.
Realistic Emotion Representation
Tanguy created the Dynamic Emotional Representation
(DER), a natural, real-time models of emotions for facial
animation. This is distributed as a part of the Emotionally Expressive Facial
Animation System (EE-FAS).
updated July 2006
- Philipp Rohlfshagen working with Joanna Bryson created a model of emotions and drives that is relatively realistic but also tractable for ordinary action selection. This is distributed with standard pyPOSH version of BOD code, above. See the latchTest library for examples and documentation.
- Mark Wood's PhD was on "An Agent-Independent Task Learning Framework". dissertation and code in Java, including a framework for running social learning experiments in Unreal Tournament (UT).
- Joanna Bryson's model of task / transitive inference learning:
code that generated the results in Animal
Cognition (Bryson & Leong 2007). This is its
own simulation, that page points to the lisp environment
the GUI uses.
Models of Social Behaviour
- Hagen Lehmann
has at least two models of primate social structure:
- a replication of Charlotte Hemelrijk's DomWorld.
- His own model of the socio-ecological theory, which also runs in NetLogo.
- Steve Butler's TerrorPlex, (Butler & Bryson, ESSA
2007, see Bryson's publications).
- TerrorPlex zip file including the TerrorPlex code which runs in Repast, and script files for replicating the results in Butler & Bryson (2007).
- Alex Hilton's Agent Zoo combines three recent advances in the flocking work started by Craig Reynolds. Alex also redesigned these web pages. Thanks Alex!